Monday, October 11, 2010

Darlinghurst: Heritage Items: Novar

Novar
- Register of the National Estate, City of Sydney Council Heritage List
This Victorian Italianate-style villa at 298 Liverpool Street, on the corner of Darley Street, was built way back in 1880, so is now 130-years-old. And it doesn't look too bad for an old fella.
The NSW Heritage Branch says changes were made to the building in the 1930s, significantly an overlay of ''stripped Classical style'', which I assume means the once decorative facade was pared back, although there are still elements of Victorian decoration along the rim of the roof.
There's also an ugly, white drain-pipe running down the building, which I believe was added in the late 20th or early 21st Century.
I would love to look inside this building, which sold for $1.95 million in 2000, because it's one of the area's few mansion-houses that hasn't been converted into flats.
I have seen a young family coming and going from its Darley Street doorway and while I am slightly jealous of their home, this still isn't one of my favourite Darlinghurst buildings.
Again, it's a privacy issue for me: Novar's windows open right on to the street, so if left open, passers-by could easily stick their heads in.
My friend, Ruby Molteno, said she saw a For Sale sign outside Novar a few weeks ago, but I can find no record of it being listed for sale.

No comments: