Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Darlinghurst Blog: Detritus: St John's Church Shortcut Closed

I was so sad when I came across this Keep Out sign on the gates of St John's Church last week. I use the churchyard shortcut between Victoria Street and Darlinghurst every day and every day I admire the garden, look fondly at the sandstone church and say hello to the little pussycat that always seems to be sitting in one of the trees. 


There was also a little note taped to the gate to explain:

''If you walk through the grounds of St John's Church, we have good news and bad news for you! 
''The bad news is  . . . that because we are landscaping the car park area of the church, pedestrian access through the church grounds will be totally closed from Monday 5th September. We have been led to believe that the building work will take four weeks to complete."
''The good news is . . . that when it's finished, the area will be attractive, safe to walk on, and reopened for people to walk through just as it was before.''

Well, I guess that's okay then. 


I guess the garden and paving was a bit shabby. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done and what types of plants they put in. 

1 comment:

Phoebe of Hardie St said...

HA! I wonder where that little cat went? He reminds me of my cat at home and I too have been known to stop and have a little chat with him.