Saturday, December 3, 2011

Darlinghurst Blog: Street of the Week: Palmer Lane

Palmer Lane must be the cutest street in Darlinghurst. I only discovered it last week while dawdling through the flatlands with my old chum, Ruby Molteno. We were walking to her apartment and she insisted we take a detour off Bourke Street, down Berwick Lane and then along Palmer Lane. And I was so glad we did. 


It was another one of those balmy Sydney days where the air was thick and warm and we felt so drunk on life as we breathed in the rich heady fragrance of flowering plants with just the softest whisper of wind falling across our faces and bare arms. 
When the weather is like that I feel like the happiest person in the world and any thoughts of blackness disappear. 
In fact I was so content I felt like lying down in the middle of the street on the hot bitumen and singing loudly.


It really was the perfect day to wander down Palmer Lane as the flowers of the purple Jacarandas, brilliant white Star Jasmine and crimson Bougainvillea had just exploded open and were at their peak.



There was also loads of interesting window boxes: the residents seem to be plant nuts. If you have 30 minutes spare this weekend, pop down to Palmer Lane for a little exploration along this very sweet street.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love walking down here on may way to work after dropping my daughter at Darlo Public. I like how, if you stand at the end of Palmer Lane - you look down at the old houses on Chapel Lane facing you and (with a little imagination) you can think how people would have looked at this view what? 170 years ago those houses would have been there? 150 at least.

You have to block out the traffic sounds and the lamborghini workshop but I always love to play this particular game.

Arnold. said...

I think the residents all read your blog and are trying to outdo each other.

Violet Tingle said...

It also kind of reminds me of a street in France or some European village.

Anonymous said...

one of the cutest streets in darlo...yum