Thursday, November 8, 2012

Across the Border: Kings Cross: Binge Drinking

If you've been to Kings Cross Train Station in the past week, you couldn't have missed the large anti-binge drinking campaign covering every available advertising space between the street and the train doors. 
The campaign was launched in reaction to the death of 19-year-old Thomas Kelly, who was king-hit on Victoria Street in July, and is part of a wider suite of safe-partying messages and initiatives by the NSW Government and the City of Sydney.
(We are yet to learn whether the man who allegedly king-hit Thomas was indeed under the influence of alcohol. My guess is ice, or methamphetamine, but the authorities appear helpless on cracking down on that one, and alcohol is a much simpler target.)
One of the initiatives is a ghastly digital message board on a trailer, which is dumped near Poos on Sticks on weekends, that reminds people to party safely and about late night transport options. It's the kind of billboard you would normally see located next to a highway to warn motorists about upcoming traffic works. It make our little village feel like some awful war zone. 
I really don't like it.


But what I find more bizarre is one of the photographs being used as part of the anti-binge drinking campaign, which is located on the wall of the street level station tunnel:


This isn't the greatest photograph of it (above), but if you look closely to the left you can see the young woman's dress has been pulled up, revealing her knickers:


The woman's bottom is a very strange sight to see when I'm going to work in the morning. It doesn't really make me think, 'ooooh, I better not binge drink because I may end up with my face in the pavement and my knickers on show'. 
In fact, the first time I saw it I thought, 'ooooh, I really should stop drinking so I can lose weight and get a butt like that'. 
So, in a way I guess it does have the intended effect, but do I really have to see this woman's arse every morning?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My fave blog of all time!

Anonymous said...

In this day and age I'm surprised she's wearing knickers! Great post!

Anonymous said...

I love that picture, it cheers me up every morning.

B nonymous said...

I don't like the whole "village" concept.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments on the ice issues! The authorities & politicians are skating around this issue & blaming it on alcohol. They really do not wish to address the drug issues as it will bring in too many other factors! It's easier for them to sweep it under the carpet & blame something else! We the community truly need to rally the politicians to abolish the injecting rooms and replace with rehabilitation centres!